Today is my 24th birthday. Growing up, this was probably not how I imagined my life would be at this point. I guess I was naive and thought I would have it all figured out. My fifteen year old self couldn’t be further from the truth. Over the last few years, I realized it is completely okay to not have your life figured out – who does, right? Our twenties are a time to discover who we really are, try different paths and make mistakes. It’s part of growing up.
So, to celebrate my 24 years of existence, I wrote down 24 things I’ve learned along the way.
24 Things I’ve Learned In 24 Years
1. You will outgrow some friends, it’s part of growing up.
2. But true friends stay no matter what. Even if you only see each other every couple of months.
3. Changing something about yourself on the outside is probably not going to make you feel more confident if your issues are on the inside.
4. Discovering that you are an introvert will be one of the biggest lightbulb moments of your life.
5. It’s okay to enjoy being by yourself. It’s not lonely or weird and it will teach you a lot of things about yourself.
6. It’s also okay to be a homebody and not wanting to party every weekend.
7. Trust your intuition more often.
8. Wear your retainer every night. You will regret it later if you don’t.
9. Doing your eyebrows for the first time will be one of your best decisions.
10. If you’re not sure, don’t buy it. It will probably only take up space in your closet.
11. Everything happens for a reason.
12. Family will always be there no matter what. Show them some love.
13. Your education doesn’t define you and it’s okay to change your mind.
15. As it was going to London on your own. Sometimes you just need to go on adventures with yourself.
16. Keeping a gratitude journal is not bullshit. It actually helps you put things into perspective and have a more positive outlook on life.
17. That job you don’t love is going to teach you a lot about yourself and about what you really want from life.
18. A black pair of jeans is an essential piece in your closet.
19. Be vulnerable more often. It will allow you to connect with others more deeply.
20. It’s always nice to switch off from the online world once in a while and get lost in a book.
21. Travel often. It will make you richer as a person.
22. Instagram feeds are mostly a highlight reel of someone’s life so stop comparing.
23. Don’t waste your energy worrying about not knowing which career to pursue. Instead, follow your curiosity.
24. You will never be ready. So you might as well start now instead of regretting not having started years ago.
Can you relate to any of these lessons?